Last month, nearly 900 attendees gathered for NAHAD’s 38th Annual Meeting and Convention at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach to reconnect with existing clients, engage with new customers, and take part in multiple educational sessions.
The convention ran from May 15-18, and was kicked off with the “State of NAHAD” report by 2021-2022 by President Jeff Scheininger. In his remarks, he outlined the numerous changes implemented by the board, including a revamp of the association bylaws and the introduction of a streamlined committee structure.
Leadership unveiled a completely redesigned committee structure for NAHAD to accomplish four key elements: create value, engage membership, offer opportunities for future leadership, and address industry needs. As a result, five new committees have been formed: Hose Safety Institute, Education, Membership, Industry Insights, and Technology.
NAHAD is encouraging all members to get involved on a committee, which will encompass the following:
Membership committee’s strategic objectives:
The NAHAD Membership Committee processes applications for membership in the association to add members that commit to compliance with the NAHAD Code of Business Conduct, promoting high professional business and product standards and ethical conduct in dealing with customers, suppliers, and competitors.
Committee responsibilities and deliverables:
- Develop and refine qualified membership prospects; monitor annual retention rates and implement strategies to increase retention and engagement
- Develop and conduct membership recruitment campaigns to grow membership
- Review and act upon all applications within the specified schedule
- Recommend and implement necessary changes to membership standards, dues, criteria, and practices
- Review member benefits and services in conjunction with the Programs Committee through direct contacts, surveys, and engagement tactics
- Monitor NAHAD’s inbound/outbound membership marketing strategy
Education committee’s strategic objectives:
- Review content associated with NAHAD Academy ensuring relevancy to the industry and member companies; create a list of highlighted courses to promote the use of this NAHAD benefit
- Review and recommend a licensing proposal for NAHAD online content to members who have a Learning Management System
- In conjunction with the HSI Committee, offer insights related to industry-specific content development for NAHAD Academy
- Identify content for NAHAD podcasts, webinars, and other educational opportunities
- Review and recommend NAHAD Value Partners and services to support member needs
- Oversee NAHAD Academy
- Vet and review general education content
- Help promote the adoption of NAHAD Academy
- Plan annual Technical Webinar series (min of 4)
- Provide topics and identify subject matter experts for the NAHAD podcast series
- Define tools and content to highlight (publications, one-sheets, short videos) that will promote hose safety/application, covering each hose type
- Primary responsibility for site selection and program planning for Regional Training
Hose Safety Institute Committee’s strategic objectives
- Provides a forum for discussion between distribution, manufacturing, and end-users.
- Determines Industry Best Practices and Guidelines offering members a roadmap for consistent, reliable, and safe hose fabrication.
- Develops educational content and programs to promote success within the industry which includes the adoption and integration of NAHAD best practices and guidelines into practice.
- Oversee the HSI Membership program
- Vet new HSI member applications
- Develop resources for HSI members use
- Develop end-user content
- Periodic review (every 3 years) of HSI Handbook and Fabrication course content
- Develop concept and content for courses/programs related to fabrication and/or hose safety
- Initiate the development of White Papers covering topics relevant to the industry
- Provide subject matter experts to serve on the Hose Assembly Group
Industry Insights Committee’s strategic objectives
- Facilitate the development and dissemination of knowledge-based solutions for the hose industry
- Collect, curate, and share information about the industry, business practices, and economic and political conditions that will directly impact our businesses.
- Provide a forum for the dissemination of information that enhances the management of enterprises in the hose industry
- Share insights about the future of the hose industry
- Create discussion boards, start discussion chains, monitor conversations
- Provide an Industry Insights update for each edition of NAHAD News and/or additional publications specific to developments affecting the industry
- Suggest topics and/or speakers for webinars, podcasts, or presentations on
Best in class business practices
EPA and European Union updates
- Extend the reach of NAHAD to other associations representing industries such as
Oil and Gas
Food and Health Industry
Transportation (air, sea, ground)
- Recommend a structure for NAHAD member discussion boards
- Actively participate in this program through the initiation of new topics
- Review discussion chains
Technology committee’s strategic objectives
- Monitors and informs membership on
- Technological tools and services
- The digital landscape and cloud-based solutions
- Review and provide reports on products and services designed to streamline business processes and ensure greater profitability
- Sponsor at least one breakout session at each NAHAD convention with technology thought leaders associated with industrial distribution.
- Contribute to NAHAD News with an article or update highlighting new technology-related products, industry trends, and resource sites
- Promote dialogue between distributors and manufacturers around tech and driving value through tech. What do they need distribution to do to continue to add value and vice versa in the new distribution paradigm
- Bring the B2B technology space to our industry by researching and vetting tech companies to become members of NAHAD
The rest of the conference was filled with many other learning opportunities. In addition to the networking opportunities, workshops and keynote sessions, the 2022 George W. Carver Award was presented as a posthumous award to Dixon LeGros of Westflex Inc.
“Dixon was an industry professional in every sense of the word. He was a friend, a colleague, a success, a leader, and a consensus builder. His dedication to his family, business, community, and industry was unsurpassed,” Scheininger said.
Dixon’s son Elliot LeGros, accompanied by his mother Paula, accepted the award on his father’s behalf and shared thoughtful sentiments about his father.
The final day of the convention started with the organization’s annual business meeting, called to order by President Scheininger. After the financial and programs reports, provided by NAHAD Treasurer Dave Heckler and Executive VP Molly Alton Mullins, Scheininger thanked four outgoing board members for their dedication and service: Brent Lilly of PT, Christopher Hart of Hart Industries, Susanna Vandenberg of Flexaust, and Brian Pellegrin with Singer Equities.
NAHAD Immediate Past President Sam Petillo presented the nominating committee’s report. He thanked Mike Mortensen of Alaska Rubber Group for joining the board to step in after the retirement of Janeece Higgins, and Mark Balcom of Pooley Inc., who filled the term of John Tattersall, who passed away suddenly last year. Petillo welcomed three newly elected board members: Tripp Batey of Hose of South Texas, Scott Nelson of Hydraquip, and Mike Braucher of Continental. He also recognized Standards Committee Chair Andy Christmas, who will serve as a liaison to the Executive Committee.
Petillo finished his report with the presentation of the slate of officers for the 2022-2023 NAHAD Executive Committee:
- President: Jason Westad of FORCE America
- First Vice President: Dave Heckler of Alliance Hose and Rubber
- Second Vice President and Treasurer: Brian Pellegrin of Singer Equities
- Immediate Past President: Jeff Scheininger of Flexline
Westad presented Scheininger with the NAHAD 2022 Eagle Award for excellent service to the industry and association and gave his first address as NAHAD president.
“Our membership is strong, our events are world class, our participation is high, and our financial position is healthy,” Westad said. “This organization is like no other I’ve been a part of, and it will be my mission, with the board, to continue nurturing, enhancing, and augmenting all of the exceptional benefits NAHAD brings us as members.”
The event wrapped up with the popular Showcase of Hose Solutions, followed in the evening by the closing party. More than 130 exhibitors set up in the hotel’s Sparkle Ballroom with displays highlighting the latest innovations in products and technologies, with several key fluid power companies highlighting brand new technologies.
NAHAD also announced dates for its 2023 Annual Meeting and Convention, which will be held in the Bahamas April 29 to May 3.
Visit NAHAD.org for more information.